Dangerous House Plants

Rosy was standing by the dinner table hoping one of us would throw her a table scrap, when I noticed that her leg was shaking. By the time we got her to the vet, her whole body was shaking and I was in tears. The vet said that the symptoms resembled pyrethrum poisoning and asked if we had bought any new house plants. We had some poinsettias, and wouldn’t put it past Rosy to have taken a bite, but we hadn’t seen her do it. (Poinsettias themselves are only mildly toxic, so the poisoning would have come from insecticides sprayed on the plants.)

The vet anesthetized her and gave her an intravenous antidote. By morning she was OK and we were relieved, but $200.00 poorer! We worried that it might happen again since we weren’t sure what caused the problem in the first place.

We are passing this on to let people know that newly-purchased house plants may come treated with insecticides or other chemicals that may be hazardous to a puppy’s health. Next time you buy a house plant, ask if it has been sprayed or treated. Keep your plants up where pets are less likely to eat them, and have a safe and happy New Year!

–Dwayne and Pat Martin, and Ammerville’s Rosalind Layka

Dwayne, Rosy, and Hamlet share a moment of reverent thanks for everyone’s good health

 

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>